Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Mar 1999 15:18:56 -0800
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Oettinger WBX 6
Comments: cc: michael.meier@KNUTT.DE

At 02:15 PM 28/02/99 -0800, you wrote: : Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:10:29 +0100 >From: Michael Meier <michael.meier@KNUUT.DE> >Subject: wbx 6, should I?

>This Bus is the rarest of the rare over here - I think there are not = >more than 25 Dehler WBX 6 all over germany. >Shall I enjoy it (with big risk) or shall I forget it? >

Michael,

I happen to know some guys in the VW business who have the Oettinger franchise in Sydney,Aus. and are the local Oettinger tune-up gurus, although mainly these days for T4s,Golf,Passat & Polo.They have spent time in Germany at VW factory training courses and also at Oettinger training with the high performance tuning chip technology.They also sold me my Transporter WBX new in '92. Anyway they happen to have an Oettinger WBX 6cyl in a '90 Crew Cab.Originally it was in a camper that caught fire (nothing to do with the engine) and they got it for a steal from the wrecker for only $5000Aus who didn't really know what he had,or what it was worth! It has since had a top-end re-build as it was apparantly never set up right and used to ping badly,mainly I believe because it was running too hot as the stock cooling system didn't handle the 6cyl in Australian conditions.

Anyway,from talking to them about it (& while looking & lusting over it) I understand the following to be things you may want to consider before deciding what to do.

*At over 3 litres,they have excellent performance,but rather thirsty & therefore costly to run.(yea I know, a 2.1l in a camper aint great either but...) *Unless you have an automatic transmission,they tend to destroy manual WBX gearboxes as it isn't quite strong enough for the extra power of the Oettinger. *They still have problems with heads cracking.(I asked this as a bit of a cynical joke but got a very serious "yes"reply) *Parts are expensive-naturally! Replacement heads are around $2500 ea in Australia.I can't say how that pans out in other places but they don't sound like they'd be a bargain. *They run hotter than a standard WBX.This of course is more of a problem in Australia and additional cooling fans had to be installed to compensate for the hot running.This obviously won't be such a problem in Germany most of the time.

On the plus side the performance is excellent,especially with the modified tuning chips available for them and you would be the envy of a many a Transporter owner.

Good luck with your decision...

Steve O. Blue Mountains NSW Aus.

'92 Transporter WBX '76 Crew Cab '68 Beetle Deluxe