Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:43:47 -0500
From:         Mark Gajewski <mgajewski@MANVILLERUBBER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Benefits of 15 " rims

> Paul Borghese wrote: > > > Hi everyone, > > So what is the advantage of buying the larger rims? I know it will make > > buying tires easier as there will be more of a selection. Does it offer a > > more stable ride? Will I notice the difference? > > > > Thanks, > > > > Paul

The primary reason for larger rims is the ability to use lower profile tires. A shorter sidewall is a stiffer sidewall, everything else being equal, and this translates into more positive handling i.e. less tire slop from side to side. It also gives a harsher ride as sharp bumps, potholes etc. are not absorbed by the tires as much. You also have the ability to go to a larger diameter tire without getting into very high profiles so you can lower engine rpm's without sacrificing handling, although larger diameter tires will make the van more tippy as you are raising the center of gravity. Personally, I don't quite understand the wider tire selection issue. Aren't there as many 14" tires available as there are 15" tires or does it have something to do with heavy duty high-load tires not being as common in the 14" size? Mark