Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Mar 1999 12:02:37 -0500
From:         Tom Carrington <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trans main shaft pulled out!
Comments: To: Gary Basey <basey94@HOTMAIL.COM>

Gary:

What happened is the threaded stud that holds the input shaft snapped. Did the snap ring come out with the shaft? If not, it may be in the bottom of the trans. It happens from time to time. You have a few options:

1. Stick the shaft back in there, make sure it engages the splines properly. When you re-install the engine, the engine will prevent the shaft from coming out. The only risk is that the missing snap ring could float around and wedge between the pinion or differential gears. Iv'e done this before when I had no money and this happened.

2. Replace the broken stud. You need to undo the 8 bolts holding on the bell-housing and pull it off. Replace the broken stud and snap ring. Find and remove the broken ring. Re-assemble with a new gasket and fill the tranny with fresh gear oil. Some of the details on how to do this can be seen on my website at: http://www.relitech.com/tomc/vanagon2.htm

Good luck!

Gary Basey wrote: > > First off I want to thank everyone for help with my earlier questions! > Without your support I'd be lost! > > But now I have a new problem. I removed the engine/trans from my '80 > Westy to rebuild the engine. Upon separating the trans from the engine, > the mainshaft came out. I searched the archives and found no reference > to this problem. I've been told it's probably a broken snapring. > > My questions are: > > Is this an indication of a larger problem? > > I've been quoted $120 to replace the snapring, is that fair? > > Could a novice do this job? > > I considered locating a used trans but, I can't find one at any of the > local yards (I'm around Indianapolis, IN and Vanagons are rare). > > Any information would be helpful. > > Gary > > '80 Westy (in need of some TLC) > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

-- TomC tcarrington@relitech.com http://www.relitech.com/tomc/tomvw.htm 85 Vanagon Crew Cab 82 Vanagon Westy diesel=>gas conversion 65 Notchback