Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:05:49 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Trans main shaft pulled out!
              digest processor on Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:34:52 -0800)

Gary,

I'd strongly recommend alternative 2 below. Do it right since you're rebuilding the engine anyway.

It should only take an hour or two to pop the bellhousing and get the stud out. Main problem is that hands (at least mine) don't fit inside the gearbox with the diff installed. Use long neddle noose pliers to get the stud out.

Also while at it: replace the input shaft seal (likely damaged when the shaft was pulled through), and pilot bearing (likely cause of the shaft sticking to the engine and pulling out in the first place.) Each one is just a few $ (5 or 6) from the flaps.

A small explanation for those who have never opened a gearbox: The input shaft is threaded on with a small (like M5 I think) stud, but it is not the stud that transfers the engine torque. It would break immediately! Instead the reverse gear slides ove the two shafts and connects them firmly along the axis of the shaft, but allowing some flex in other directions. This is because the other end of the input shaft sticks into the engine drive plate (where the pilot bearing is). If the shaft was "stiff" in the gearbox it would be under load all the time since the engine -bellhousing - tranny are different castings and not perfectly aligned. The loose coupling through the splined reverse gear acts like a flex coupling.

The gear is held down by a circlip (sometimes a pain to get off) on the input shaft. If the input shaft is stuck in either the pilot bearing or clutch (check the splines) it is easy to break the stud when pulling the trans and engine apart.

/Martin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------