Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Mar 1999 22:30:07 -0500
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Used steel wheels - treat minor rust?
Comments: To: "sytsmac@BPICORP.COM" <sytsmac@BPICORP.COM>

I wouldn't worry about it *IF* you have your tires mounted by smart folks.

While back, I had some tires switched out on my boat trailer and the guy told me before he touched the rims "I'm gonna have to work on your rims, they'll be rusty, can you wait or come back in about an hour?"

When he got the old tires off the rims WERE a mess. He took a wire brush on an air tool (which spun pretty fast) and brushed the whole sealing edge periphery, then cleaned it up good, and sprayed them with a fast-drying (epoxy?) paint. Mounted the tires and refused to charge me for the extra service...believe it or not, that was at a neighborhood Exxon station in Greenville, NC. Good folks at the 5th Street Exxon.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Cary, NC USA www.bulley-hewlett.com (888) 468-4880 toll free

-----Original Message----- From: Cory Sytsma [SMTP:sytsmac@BPICORP.COM] Sent: Friday, March 05, 1999 8:29 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Used steel wheels - treat minor rust?

I recently picked up a set of used steel wheels, w/no tires mounted. They are in good shape except for a little rust, a thin bead on the inner area, where the tire rim most likely wore away the paint. My question is, should I be concerned enough about this rust to try to treat it? My gut feeling is that it shouldn't be an issue, but since the wheels don't have tires mounted on them yet, now would be the ideal time to treat them if necessary. Your thoughts kindly appreciated.

Cory '89 westy Seattle, WA