Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Mar 1999 18:01:29 -0800
From:         Larry Burt <lwburt@SPIRITONE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires--Les Schwab Z800 Ultra
Comments: cc: wetwesties@onelist.com

Joel

Thanks for your reply. I'm confused by a few things you suggested.

Joel Walker wrote: > > one thing i found when i went up to a 215 was that i hydroplaned > VERY easily!! :( the tire was too wide, and the tread did NOT > have sufficient grooves to get the water out ... it was like > riding on big fat slicks in heavy rain. :( This tire seems to have exceptionally large grooves. Of course I don't know if they are big enough!

> as to the 44 psi, i'd recommend sticking with the real plies of what are the "real plies". All of the "4 ply rated" and 6 ply rated tires I've looked at have 2 ply sidewalls.

> at least a 2-ply sidewall. i've tried the 'pump it up some more' > route and was VERY disappointed. a high-pressure tire has no flex the factory-recommended 6 ply tires achieve their high load rating at high pressures, something like 50 lbs. The sticker on my door recommends 48 pounds rear, 39 pounds front. How is it that I will get good results from much lower pressures?

> and you feel every little bump in the road. the 2-ply sidewall, > on the other hand, has the strength but can flex enough to not > jar your teeth on pavement cracks/joints. Well, you know I feel this with my 8 plies at the factory recommended 39/48 pounds. Are you suggesting I go with 4 ply rated passenger car tires and keep the pressure down to 35, as suggested on the sidewall of these tires?

Larry