Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Mar 1999 11:34:59 -0700
From:         Larry Hamm <ldhamm@XMISSION.COM>
Subject:      Re: audi rim modifications
Comments: To: Mark Thoma <TVReporter@STRATOS.NET>

> Mark Thoma wrote: > > don't want to revisit an old thread, but could those of you who have > modified the "15 audi turbo rims to fit the vanagon, post me and tell > me exactly what's involved? > thanks > mark thoma

Mark, First of all, check your rims for roundness. If they came from the wrecking yard as mine did, they could be a bit bent. I bought six, had two that were dented. One was beyond repair, one I was able to straighten enough to use for the spare. Just find a long flat surface and roll the rim along it for a ways. A bent rim is quite easy to spot with this check. Next, call around to a few machine shops for quotes. The wheel needs to have a center hole measuring 2-5/8" to fit the front hub. Get all wheels done so you can rotate them. The Syncro, I am told, does not need this. I was quoted $100 per wheel from one, but since I knew people on the list who had had it done for $10, I kept looking for a shop charging less than $100. The shop I took them to charged me exactly $50 for a set of 5. Depending on the size of tires you use, or your concerns about reduced wheel track width, you may want to consider wheel spacers. These are metal discs of varying widths that are mounted between the wheel and hub . Mine came from PEP Boys, a universal type, and were 8mm thick. I needed these to ensure clearance of my tires, LT-235/75-15s. They are illegal in some states, including mine (Utah), but then, everything is illegal here! I had to put my 14" back on to pass inspection. Next year I'll attach the spacer to the back of the wheel so it doesn't drop off on the inspector's foot. Shouldn't have a problem then. The next concern is the increased thickness of the wheel. A two-wheel Vanagon needs the original Audi lug bolts for the front wheels, and longer studs for the rear. Mine were from an early 911 Porsche, and as I recall, were about 46mm in length. This was with the spacers. Without them the bolts and studs could be shorter, but I recommend using the spacers anyway. The Syncro needs the longer studs front and back. When you're done, you'll have a great looking wheel, and the broader choice of tires to fit. I'm sure you are aware of the pros and cons of taller or shorter than stock tires, so I won't go into that. Have fun!! Larry