Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:12:30 +0100
From:         Michael Kraewinkel <M.Kraewinkel@MITUTOYO.DE>
Subject:      AW: Flywheel Lightening little vanagon content

> ---------- > Von: David Marshall[SMTP:vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG] <snip> > A lightened flywheel is not desired when you want torque. <snip> Hi David, 1.sorry but imo a lightened flywheel takes NO effect to torque, it just makes your engine easily rev up and down without load (at idle?). if you decrease masses in your engine it will run rough and starve suddenly at low end rpm. i think that is not what Randy wants in his car.

2. if you add all rotating masses in your car (in the engine, gearbox, driveshaft, wheels, etc.) this are the rotating masses which have to be accelerated, (at a given vehicle weight) when you are driving, now subtract the amount that will go off your flywheel. Now you´ve know the mass you´ve won. for me it seems not to be that much. the better way is to get your flywheel balanced (completely with the clutch).

3.we´ve built BMW-boxer engines with nearly the same geometrical sizes, (half waterboxer) with decreased rotating and oscillating masses by nearly 35%. they had an idle rotating speed (%//? what was the right word for it?) of 1200 rpm abruptly starving under 1100 rpm.

Its not exactly like this, but my stumbling english is not running very well this morning. greetings micha