Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Mar 1999 18:01:04 -0700
From:         Rich Burdick <rburdick@BWN.NET>
Subject:      Re: Not exactly...was: towing with a vanagon

>Bill wrote-- >"If you paid attention in physics ...

>I don't have time to write out all the details ...

>In particular, during emergency braking, ...

>If the load is tethered to the rear of the vehicle, the valve may not sense >the forward shift in mass accurately, and in fact, the rear of the van may >be likely to have an increase in load, as the mass on the trailer tries to >remain in motion, and shifts forward, pressing down on the tongue.

I wasn't going to say anymore on this subject - but ...

All of these issues are quite important - towing vs. wight in van, load on engine (which is where it all started) - but *handling* is a *FAR* more complex issue than has been discussed.

Points in case:

- What do you think happens in a cross-wind when going up a moderately steep grade that is slick due to ice/water if you are pulling a reasonably heavy load with a reasonbly lightly loaded van?

- What about braking downhill in the same situation?

- What about turning and decelerating on a slick surface?

- How about earth-bound 'wind-shear' (sudden changes in direction/velocity of wind)?

- Most trailers do not have shock absorbers, when one wheel goes over a bump, the trailer may ocsilate, sometimes *violently* from side to side. How does one respond appropriately?

- If you pull a vehicle, or trailer, with a 'tow-bar' type set up, usually the pivot point of the bar on the towed vehicle is lower, or *much* lower, than the ball on the van. How do you think this affects handling during: acceleration, braking, *hard* braking, normal cornering, accelerating while cornering, braking while cornering? (I won't ask about *hard* braking while cornering, because there usually aren't any survivors to ask.)

And this only *begins* to cover the real world, serious, driving situations which can/may/will occur.

But these points all have much more to do with the issue of physics involved in driving a vehicle that is towing something else - and do not pertain directly to anything that is *different* about towing with a Vanagon of any ilk.

If discussion of any of this is interesting to the list, I will continue to respond here.

If anyone has specific questions, I'll be happy to respond privately.

Rich