Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:02:49 -0500
From:         "Robert A. Alexander" <satcong@VOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Not exactly...was: towing with a vanagon
Comments: To: "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

Matthew - I agree with you that in towing heavy objects with any vehicle, one has NO choice but to use good judgement! BUT, our Vanagons are actually much better vehicles than most for towing objects, within reason, SIMPLY because we have, proportionally, much more weight on our rear tires!

The WORST experience I ever had trying to tow a vehicle was back in '67, borrowing my brother's "van pickup" (a new Dodge pickup truck that looked like a van) and, using a tow bar attached to the front bumper of this MINT '51 Ford "business coupe" (came from the factory with no rear seat - made for salesmen) and attempting to tow it from Naples, FL to Jacksonville, FL! Fine on the highway, BUT with the really light rear end, I managed to end up in a ditch after the '51 Ford decided it inertial system wanted to drag the rear end of that truck & me across a highway in the middle of a turn!

SECOND worst experience was, two years ago, heading down to Tampa, in my '76 GMC pickup to retrieve #2 daughter's Volvo 760 and tow it back to Atlanta where Brother Gene was to rebuild the engine. Pressed for time, on a Sunday, to head back and I could not get the last bolt from the U-joint, I made the incredibly STUPID decision to load the Volvo BACKWARDS on the dolly I rented! Not too bad on the low-speed roads to I-75, BUT once up to 65mph on I-75, an INCREDIBLE oscillation began, trying to slow down with the brakes only AGGREVATED the oscillations, ONLY acceleration stopped these oscillations! Convinced me that one does NOT want a vehicle with a light rear end attached to a trailered item with a light front end towing on the road!!!

I used to haul a borrowed 18' travel trailer with my '74 VW van when, uh, the need for more civilized camping presented itself. Never gave me any trouble other than the excessive use of 1st and 2nd gears on some of the hills around here.

Seems like the rating on my '74 for passengers/cargo was about 2000#. I think it's a bit less for my '85GL. According to the charts Helmut posted, "unbraked" towing limits are 1320#. I recall reading, last year(?), some notes from our European Vanagon Nuts about folks over there towing all sorts of travel trailers on holiday.

You know, Matthew, "A heavy object, only vaguely tethered with a single hemi-joint at the midpoint to the rear of another object has nearly infinite range of unpleasant motions and paths it can take when the object in front slows suddenly" is EITHER an indictment of anal sex OR a fair description of pulling calves!!!

BOB - WA4RRN '85GL - "Bourgeois" http://www.lesbianmales.org