Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:57:19 -0700
From:         Kent Christensen <lkchris@USWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: towing with a vanagon

re: "As long as you use them to move people around in you are OK."

Well, I don't know the first thing about towing with Vanagons but can recall the first time I landed in Germany (Frankfurt, 1992) and looked out the plane window to the tarmac as we taxied to the gate--it seemed every service vehicle I saw was a Vanagon. Then, when I was at my assignment at Patch Barracks, it seemed all the craftspersons on base doing plumbing or carpentry or such used Vanagons. It looked like the great majority of Vanagons I saw there were being used in a commercial capacity and most of them being used as people carriers were run by American GIs and were US spec. The only pickup I saw the whole time there was a made-in-the USA Rabbit. From this experience, I think the Vanagon (now the Caravelle) is much more the light truck of Germany than the minivan of Germany. BTW, I did get to see lots of Vanagons used as people carriers one time--this was during the transfer ceremony from Colin Powell to (the guy whose name no one could spell--like Shelly-something) when the entire fleet of "dignitary" vehicles were (apparently rented) Vanagons.