Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:41:58 -0500
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Viscous Coupling Test Results

Viscous Coupling Tests

I am in the middle of testing a stack of 5 viscous couplings.

The test involves turning the VCs at various torques (such as 25 foot lbs. and 50 foot lbs.) and seeing how many revolutions they go around at the prescribed torques.

Based on tests with the VCs inside the diffs the preliminary results seem to be that.

1. at 25 foot lbs. the torque wrench typically goes around about 1.7 times within the time space of 1 minute

2. at 50 foot lbs. the torque wrench typically goes around about 3.5 times within the time space of 1 minute

These tests are preliminary as they were done with the VCs inside the diffs. I plan to retest out.

With one particular VC I noticed that these results were about double the revolutions per minute.

I will post a new set of results showing how all the VCs do as I prepare a more exact test. I have found that it is a very simple matter to pull the VC out by undoing the zillion little bolts going around the diff and then pulling the end of the diff off.

In addition, I plan to heat the VCs and retest them. This ought to show those VCs which are bad only after a period of highway driving. Tim Smith suggested something like 212 degrees for a retest (cannot remember C or F) so I have to guess at the operating temperature of a going-bad VC after it has been on the highway for 1/2 hour.

Any list members that want a graph of their VC's performance by temperature and by torque are invited to send theirs to me for analysis and testing compared to all the other VCs that I have. I will test it and send it back.

The cool thing is that I have a VC that is half baked--it seems to be OK but it does the highway heating thing. So by finding out how this thing differs from its peers, we can nail down a way to find bad ones. _______________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington DC CEO, ConsumerSearch drew@interport.net 212-580-6486, 202-966-7907 (Work) 212-580-4459; 202-966-0938 (Home) (cell: 917-848-6425)