Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:24:57 -0800
From:         Randy Bergum <organslave@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Not exactly...was: towing with a vanagon
Comments: To: Rich Burdick <rburdick@BWN.NET>

My two bits: I built a trailer in 1990 to haul a flying wing with the vanagon, and have hauled lots of crap - ex girlfriend's stuff and all. * If your hitch is mounted low and close to the rear axle, good things happen. The low force vector will have very little effect on front end dive during braking, depending on where it is relative to the rear axle centerline. The closer your hitch gets to the rear axle (front to back direction), the lower the forces are that act on the yaw component of steering. Ideal would be right at the axle. * Tongue weight and inertia added behind the rear axle help stabilize the van in crosswinds. Our vans are like arrows flying backwards - weight aft and feathers first, because the center of mass is behind the center of aerodynamic pressure. The front wheels work hard to keep us going straight, and you sure notice it when the front end is worn out. * Trailer design has a lot to do with it. The best way: long tongue, wide axle, low CG of load, place axle springs such that when the trailer leans, the shackle movement shifts the axle to add countersteering, and have a low polar moment of the trailer and load if possible.

I've towed about 1,500 lbs with no problems at all other than the slowness.

Randy