Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:36:53 +0100
From:         Helmut Zeidler <Helmut_Zeidler@NOTESMAIL.NOKIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Benefits of 15 " rims

>I'm actually interested in doing this. Seems >to me that using Audi 4-wheel discs is the way >to go. Shouldn't be too hard to do. We just need >to find someone who has done this kind of thing >before -- perhaps someone near Detlev? There are >tons of "racer" mechanics out in California. Also, >Helmut is trying to do almost the same thing to >his van in Germany. Perhaps he can offer some advice? I may try...

The change of the front disks are based on the hub assembly as used in South Africa. They are looking same as those used on Syncros, but the wheel bearing of the 2WD will fit.

There are some German suppliers selling upgrades like this described above, but the brake pads are those from a BMW, as one Vanagon V6 driver reported. Unfortunatly he does have no futher details, but I got some pictures. I will mail them privately, if you like to have.

The rear brackets will not fit, the mountings do have no counter parts on the trailing arm. There have to be made a self designed adapter.

In Germany there are some plans to use the EV disk brake system, as those are tested for similar vehicle loads. Later systems do have vented disks as well, you may check the current VR6.

I will let you know about futher details as they will come up. I will test the Audi disk system when the weather will get warmer.

Regards Helmut '80 Vanagaudi