Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:27:23 PST
From:         Timothy Gardner <caninewolf@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      stutter problem-warmup-high speed

Hello,

I thought I'd write to the list about this. My van is getting around 18mpg and everything seems fine. The power is all there and all seems to work fine. I drove it to VT for school and when you get up to around 60mph or more it starts to give this sluggish stutter and if you take it out of gear it idels between 1000 and 1500 very jumpy idel..but then the idel will calm down and all will be ok for awhile. The other thing is I noticed that if im going uphill and keep my foot on the gas its normally ok but if I let up just a little it'll start acting all crazy and make me slow down. The van does not do this unless the engine is warm. I took it to town the other day and once it warmed and I was moving at about 50mph it started doing it. This is only an intermittent problem because it will go away for an hr at a time.

Things I checked were gas which was all good....and my mpg which seems to be fine. All gages seem to be reading right and oil is very clean. I did check the O2 sensor..it was unplugged so I plugged the wire back together but it did not fix the problem. Any suggestions of what to check?

Does anyone know a good VW mechanic in the upper VT area..Im in Johnson ..so basically Montpillier and up?

Thank you Tim G own: 84 Vanagon Wolfsburg Weekender(65k(221K body)) 77 Toyota Chinook Camper(for sale 3500/obo)-need to sell!! ex: 87 Vanagon Syncro Weekender-Alaska-(tranny split in half at 181k) 84 Ford Ranger(never close to a VW) 87 Dodge Colt(170k-friend killed the tranny..4th to 1st is a bad idea)