Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Mar 1999 19:51:17 PST
From:         Robert Lilley <vwvanman@EXCITE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Flywheel Lightening
Comments: To: Randy Bergum <organslave@EARTHLINK.NET>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

>A freer revving motor would be > nice, so the questions are: > 1. If the flywheel is lightened, will that give improved response to > throttle?

Possible, depends on condition of your engine and other parts.

> 2. What about the down sides, such as increased vibration, easier to > stall while lugging, etc......

The down side is increased engine harmonics across the crank, resulting in main bearing pounding out. Remember at 70 the engine is turning @4000, the center of the crank is flexing. Reducing the weight on the end will allow it to flex more and start at lower revs.

The crank will start to vibrate at lower speeds because of the lighter weight on the end to balance harmonics out. The will be harder to maintain a constant speed. The weight on the flywheel helps to keep speeds constant.

> 3. If not this, then how to get an easier revving motor? Get the Audi > 5 cyl?

No. Install a walker turbo muffler, 1.25 ratio rockers with swivel rhino feet, Chromoly push rods, free flow air filter- K&N, other, depending on miles New air flow meter (track wears out sending erroneous signal to brainbox)

I hve done this and more to my engine and it goes to 5600 rpms strong.

Robert