Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:26:36 -0800
From:         ARKADY MIRVIS <HEATERMAN@NAC.NET>
Subject:      Re: VWOA and the 'net
Comments: To: jan@hrps.demon.nl

Jan Willem Brier wrote:

> > VWOA (Volkswagen of America) has recently sent out letters, thru their > > attorneys, to everyone who has a domain with "VW" "Volks" "Volkswagen" > > "Bug" or "Beetle" in the name. Some domains have already disappeared; > > They may try to claim all of these domainnames and have some right to do so > as these are their trademarks. However there is a limit. About twenty years > ago the US DoD developed a programming language called "Ada". They tried > fiercely to prohibit the use of this name by third parties in any context. > According to their rules nobody could make up any name that used these three > letters in this order. It's a long time ago and few people will remember > this (it's a true story allright). They had to give in when the good people > of Canada (Can Ada!) refused to change the name of their country. > > I would be very interested to know if all of this holds up in court. Anyway > what is Volkswagen. It's nothing more than 'car for the people' . People in > the sense of 'the common man'. Those in power at the time of it's conception > were not the intended buyers. These people were chauffeur driven in Merc's. > But that's another story........ > > Jan Willem Briër (Mr.) > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > http://www.hrps.demon.nl > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > To leave the list, send an UNSUBSCRIBE message to TYPE2-REQUEST@TYPE2.COM > -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tha man in power of Volkswagen conception ( and "THE FATHER" of the KDF-der Kafer- Beetle) Adolf Hitler was driven in Mercedes because he was the head of State, from which he never took even a Pfennig. Those, who took over after the war, gave up the idea of a car for a working man and instead adopted the mentality of american business. The unsurpassed design of the Beetle was replaced with rather usual line of cars with massive problems and recalls. Heinz Nordhoff worked hard to kill the Beetle before the war and was an excellent salesman after the war, mercilessly going after anyone trying to use anything even remotely connected with VW trademarks .

[text/html]