Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Mar 1999 03:58:20 PST
From:         Robert Lilley <vwvanman@EXCITE.COM>
Subject:      5 Speed update and Re:      Re: shifting from 1 to 2- reply
Comments: To: Jwilli941@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Todd, I thought I might update you on my engine and 5 speed tranny combo.

To refresh your memory...I did some mods to the engine and installed a 5 speed tranny W/.70 fifth gear. I can go from 35 to 100+ in fifth gear with no engine strain. I can go to 75 mph in fourth gear RPMs @5000 with no engine strain. The five speed better fits the various speed limits better than the four speed.

Engine RPMs at 70 mph in fifth are 3200 with 205x70x14" tires.

I broke my tranny in with dino oil and it would not shift to second until the tranny was warm and sometimes it would not go in even when warm without some grinding or pressure to get it in second. I switched to Redline MTL after 1600 miles and now it goes into second easy when 18 degrees outside with no grinding. The locking diff also behaves better with the Redline. They might just need to switch oil.

Robert