Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Mar 1999 19:13:44 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Advice on buying a Synchro
Comments: To: Justin Gordon <justin@BAYAREA.NET>

My thoughs on Syncro (no "H" bt the way) Vanagon are they are great vans but the maintainance is a little higher due to the 4x4 system. With that being said - I would NEVER go without one!

First thing is to ask your self is do you need a Syncro? If you are 99% of the time on pavement then a 2WD makes more sence. If you are like me and spend most of the weekends going down logging roads to remote fishing spots or enjoying going where no Ford F-150 has gone before then Syncro is for you.

Things to watch for - weird vibrations in the transmission when these go (usually around 200,000 to 250km look forward to $2500 for repairs. The Viscous coupler is another $2000 item then supposedly cannot be repaired. The VC is responcible for bringing the power to the front wheels.

I would take the Van to a VW dealer or some other mechanic who KNOWS what a Syncro is about and pay some money and get it checked out. It's better to spend $50 and walk away from the deal as opposed to spending $2000 on a deal you should't have bought.

Again, I love my Synro and I would never be without. Most other Syncro owners feel the same way!

At 11:24 08/03/1999 -0800, Justin Gordon wrote: >Hello. > >I am considering buying a '86 Synchro Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, >5 speed. >It seems to be in very good condition with the exception that a mechanic >seems to think that a head gasket needs to be replaced. However, the engine >does not seem to be leaking any coolant. > >Also, the compression is 130, 140, 125, 135. Is the low compression on one >cylinder a real concern? According to the owner, the compression has been >like this since 60K. > >The engine has a about 129K miles. > >One other concern I have is that the owner does some of the work on the >vehicle himself, such as replacing the clutch, and the brakes. Is this stuff >pretty easy to do on a Vanagon Synchro? > >Did they make these in automatic transmissions? > >How hard are these to find? How hard are they to sell? > >Are the Blue Book prices accurate for resale? > >Any advice in general about purchasing one of these would be greatly >appreciated. > >Thanks in advance. > >Justin Gordon > >

-- David Marshall - Vanagon List Admin - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab, WANTED: VW / Bombardier Iltis -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --