Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:24:07 -0800
From:         Larry Burt <lwburt@SPIRITONE.COM>
Subject:      Tire(d) Concensus, Shock(ing) Questions
Comments: cc: wetwesties@onelist.com

Hey listees

Thanks for all the replies on my tire(d) post. At the end of this I have Q's about shocks as well. Here's what you said:

TIRES IN GENERAL:

DON'T get passenger-rated tires. C=6PR is the minimum, D=8PR desirable.

No particular reason to stick with 185/(80) R 14s, the stock size. 195/75 or 205/70 is ok and provides the same diameter, but there are differing opinions about whether the wider sizes will improve traction in various conditions--wind, water, snow, ice. Depends on tread design and the phase of the moon.

Chains "may" not fit on 205/70's, then again, they may.

One of you suggested 220/70 "Arizonians". Desert Dude?

Maybe 15 inch wheels make sense, then again, that's a whole 'nother tire story.

SPECIFIC BRANDS/SIZES OF TIRES:

Bridgestone 603MV, 185 (80) R 14. 8 PR. About $85 ea in PDX. This is what I've been running but am not impressed by mileage (~35K) or traction.

Cooper SRM II Radial LT, 195 (80) C rated (oversize diameter)

Costco Kirkland/Uniroyal 195/75 C $66 ea total. Haven't checked the local Costco. Don't like the scene.

Michelin LTX 195/75 C rated. These seem to be pretty easy to find, but are rather expensive $110 ea total in PDX

Michelin MXT 205/75 C rated. These are rather harder to get, also expensive, about $110 ea total in PDX. What's the difference other than size from the LTX?

Yokohama Y370D 195/75 D rated. Not available locally in PDX.

Yokohama Y356D 195/75 D rated. Available in PDX, $69 ea total. What's the difference betwee these and the 370?

"Truck tires" 27x8.5. These are what "real" trucks use, and I've been told lots are available, but am wary because they are oversize diameter and the tread designs don't look very civilized.

I'm about ready to go with the Yoko 356's (like that number, sounds like a Porsche!). Any comments?

SHOCKS

What about shocks? My 86 Westy GL has 155K on its original shocks/springs. My local mechanic says put in original equipment VW (who makes these?) shocks for about $100 ea installed. I asked about "gas shocks" that I can buy locally for about $30 ea plus install and they were a bit stand-offish. What I'm trying to deal with is the nose-dive and kind of groaning sound when I hit significant bumps. After all, I'm sitting right over the wheel and I really feel everything. Your tips/comments/suggestions? Can I put these in myself without setting aside a second life for the project? Special tools?

Thanks in Advance Larry