Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Mar 1999 10:07:50 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Performance Exhaust for Vanagons
Comments: To: Kent Christensen <lkchris@USWEST.NET>

Volks....

This is not directed at Kent in particular because I don't know where he stands on this issue. It is simply a convenient place for me to pick up on this thread.

It seems that a few of us on the list feel that it is okay to "get away with" not having a functioning catalytic converter. There has been lots of talk about the federal law that requires them and weather it is enforced or not. Apparently some people feel justified in breaking this law if they think they can get away with it.

IMHO this is yet another unfortunate sign of how selfish and inconsiderate we human beings can be. All you have to do is to visit a large 3rd world city (Mexico City, Bangkok, New Delhi, etc.) to experience what our air would be like without catalytic converters. I personally had burning eyes, a sinus infection, and a cough within hours of leaving the airport. And you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand the meaning of the extremely high incidence of asthma, emphysema, and lung cancer in these cities.

The statistics show that the people in these 3rd world cities (and others) are many times more likely to die an early death from one of these lung diseases. And this is not just people dying at age 60 instead of age 70; this often shows up as children dying. We know that the cause is the air pollution. We also know that pollution levels are incremental. That means that for every increment of air pollution there will be a corresponding increase in the incidence of lung disease and early death.

So think about it... when you make that decision to gut your catalytic converter... sure it doesn't seem like much pollution standing there looking at your exhaust pipe... but...

Over the years how many TONS of toxins will you put into the air? How much of it falls on plants and gets into the food that you and your family eats? How many people with lung disease will you be responsible for? And early deaths? Children? Who are the people closest to your exhaust pipe???

There are what.... 4 or 5 BILLION people on the planet now? If we are going to survive as a species we need to individually stop acting like we are the only one on the planet.... stop being so selfish and inconsiderate of others.

Okay, I've said it.. that was my 5 cents worth. Thanks for listening.

Bill 90 Westy Syncro -----Original Message----- From: Kent Christensen <lkchris@USWEST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Sunday, March 14, 1999 9:16 AM Subject: Re: Performance Exhaust for Vanagons