Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Mar 1999 00:11:33 EST
From:         Jim Davis <SyncroHead@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon gasket leaks--->which year?
Comments: To: lbissell@slonet.org

In a message dated 99-03-14 22:52:21 EST, lbissell@SLONET.ORG writes:

> I am interested in buying a watercooled Vanagon, and I have unconfirmed > knowledge about the motor. > Is it true that the watercooled Vanagon ['86-'88?] have a problem with > the head gasket leaking? Was this problem fixed ['89+]?.

The coolant leak problem with the heads affects all gasoline-fueled, water- cooled Vanagons made from 1983 to 1991. The problems is cosrrosion of the head at the coolant gasket which eventually leads to leaks. From my experiences and those I've read about, I'd say 90% of heads leak sometime between 70,000 and 140,000 miles. Some leak earlier, some even have over 200,000 miles without a leak. Repair costs between $1,100 and $2,200 depending on if you do it yourself, have an independent mechanic do it, or have a VW dealer do it. Frequent change of coolant slows the corrosion. Some have applied a ceramic material to replacement heads to prevent the corrosion. Some have filled in the corrosion pits with "JB Weld" instead of replacing the heads. So far tboth of these remedies appear to be successful, but only more miles and years will tell for sure. While there's no denying that problem exists, occuring at a frequency of about 100,000 miles isn't too bad.

> Also...are Vanagons w/ v6 much better than the ones w/ v4?

The V6 ones are pretty rare. :)

Actually the only V6 Vanagons are ones where the owner replaced the original engine. All these gasoline-fueled, water-cooled Vanagons made from 1983 to 1991 use a flat-4, "boxer" style engine. From 1983 to 1985 they were 1.9L, 82HP engines with "Digijet" fuel injection. From 1986 to 1991 they used 2.1L, 90HP engines with "Digifant" fuel injection.

See the "Info" section at <A HREF="http://www.vanagon.com">www.vanagon.com </A> for model-by-model descriptions of 1986 to 1991 Vanagons.

Regards, Jim Davis