Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Mar 1999 04:35:04 PST
From:         Robert Lilley <vwvanman@EXCITE.COM>
Subject:      Do you really NEED a new AFM was What a new Air flow meter might
              do for you...
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I did the tests the Bently said to do to determine if the AFM is bad. When I did the variable resistance test my readings were randon rather than progressive. I then took the black cover off and saw that the track was worn. I attempted the "fix" but it did not work any better. The new AFmeter was a world of difference.

Some symtoms I had were: Flat acceleration- until after @3000 rpms then the power would kick in. No real engine power in low engine speeds. New engine helped but still lacked "power" below @3000 rpms. (Now the engine runs a lot stronger throughout the RPM range 1700 to 5600) Trying to advance timing one degree decreased engine power. Had to be at stock timing mark to run. (I advanced the timing 2 degrees and it runs STRONGER now.) Engine did not like to run good below @2500 rpms. (Now the engine can go down to 1700 rpms. I can take fifth gear down to 35 mph at 1700 rpms and accelerate smoothly back to 70 mph.)

Bottom line is DO the tests to see if you need a AFM do not stick one on hoping it works or solves your problem.

The PO of my van did MOST of his driving on short trips, this action wore out the first part of the track for the lower air volume.

Robert