Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:49:58 -0500
From:         Michael Sullivan <sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil??
Comments: To: "Robert A. Alexander" <satcong@vol.com>

Dear Bob,

It's more complex than that. These new intertie inverters auto-shutdown within milliseconds when the grid goes down. They have been proven reliable and safe. The real issue seems that in "some" states it is prohibitively expensive to intertie to the grid (even though it is allowed by law) due to regulations/requirements/testing/insurance/etc.

Yeah, they are a bit "guerilla" like -- but hey, I thought you of all people would appreciate it!

As for the oil, the article did not promote 24,000 mile changes, rather it mentioned that the first promoters of synth oils initially advertised this as a "feature". Needless to say, if I were to follow this advice, then at the very least, I would change the oil filter every 5,000 miles. Probably would do the trick quite nicely. As it is, I've been using synth in ALL my cars for the last 12 years changing filters at 5k and changing the oil every 10k. Never a leak or a problem.

Cheers,

MJS

At 10:12 PM 3/8/99 -0500, Robert A. Alexander wrote:

>Michael - Checked out the website for Home Power Magazine, and

>downloaded the "oil" article for issue #69. Would you mind running

>synoil in your Vanagon for 24,000 miles between oil changes and

>reporting back to us in, uh, say about four years about the results?

>Also, did you read & comprehend the totally BS article on backfeeding

>power into the local electric grid that the magazine promoted???

>BOB - WA4RRN

>'85GL - "Bourgeois"

<bold>

Michael J. Sullivan

</bold><italic>Director of Catalog Design

Open Market, Inc.

</italic>

phone: 781.359.7624

work: http://www.openmarket.com