Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:27:11 +0000
From:         Odyssey Stickers <odyssey@SLIP.NET>
Subject:      Oil Sump Question.

I was looking for some helpfull advise.

I bought my first vanagon, a 87GL, Weekender etc.

I bought it from from the origional owner who had a nice history of service reciepts to go with the van, very nice. I read in one of the service reports that it had the problem of the striped oil drain threads. The vanagon had 10 miles on a new oil change when I picked it up so this is not a major deal now but an oil change will obvoiusly be comming in the future.

I've read certian things on the list, use a spark plug (NO!), redo the threads (umm NO), and the rubber expandable replacement for the bolt that might hit something (dosent seem right either). So unless you have OTHER things to wright please don't repeat the above.

MY QUESTION IS: I remember when I was into bugs someone made a extra capacity oil resourvour that went below the drain plug and there was some sort of extention tube to allow the oil, now in a lower position to the normal oil resourvour. It was a cast part that looked like the normal bottom of the engine, drain plug etc. I never bought one of these things for mu bug so I'm wondering if anyone ever added one of these things to any air cooled car, I think it was supposed to be used with a remote mount oil cooler (maybe). The resourvour added at least 2 quarts to the normal oil capacity.

My main reason would be for the NEW drain plug, But my thinking was that these things were/are "Hokey" and even if they worked (did not leak etc.) on and air cooled it won't work on the water cooled engines.

Anything from anyone?

Thanks in advance Rob