Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Mar 1999 01:54:09 +0100
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: Dash Controls
Comments: To: Owen Swords <oswords@LSA.NET>

Owen Swords wrote:

> Just got an '85 GL - not my 1st VW ('67 Transporter, '70 Bug, and '96 > Golf), but still can't figure out the heating and AC controls - Being > it's winter - it's even harder to do a test and see. > Can anyone provide a picture or a moron's guide to the controls - > including how to turn on the rear wiper etc > Owen

It is quite easy to figure out the dash controls, Owen! What you (and I) got is four levers, horizontally.

The top lever is for controlling the air stream to the windshield. Pull it all the way to the left, the air stream is closed, and push it to the right, it is open.

Next, you have the water stream valve, which controls the heat. Pull it to the let, the air is cold. Push it to the right, it is warm.

Now you get to the lower cabin air stream (to your feet) This one is opposite of the windshield. Pull it to the left, the air stream is open, push it to the right, the air stream is closed.

At the bottom is the lever for controlling the fresh air for the outlets in the roof, in the rear of the van. Pull it to the left, it is open, to the right it is closed.

The whole idea of the layout of the levers is that when you want to defrost your windshield, you move ALL levers to the right, this way you get air for the windshield, heat is coming through, the air for the feet is closed, and so is the fresh air in the roof outlets. If you look at the panel by the levers, just to the right, you see a symbol suggesting all switches to the right, and the fan speed at 2.

In addition, there is another switch, just at the left of the levers, this is for the heater element under the rear seat. This is the fan control only. If you want to regulate the heat, there is a lever at the side of the heater element. There is no way to regulate this from the front seats (other than fan speed)

Hope this helps,

PerL 88 Syncro