Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:46:12 +0000
From:         Odyssey Stickers <odyssey@SLIP.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trap door under the gas cap no longer closes.
Comments: To: Vernon Craddock <Vernon@craddock.com>

Here in CT the gas cap is checked for a seal with a vaccum (or pressure?) device. They have a bunch of adapters to make any cap fit on their testing device. The seal of the gas system is not checked at all. It seems to me it would be smarter to use the testing device in place of the gas cap to check the car being tested and not the cap only. But who cares really as long as I'm smog legal and pass.

I think the flap you are talking about is a "dust" or foreign matter blocker or a pass down of the old days when you might have had to worry about the gas being removed from your car overnight. A siphon blocker. I was not old enough to drive in the gas crunch so I'dont know if gas theft was ever a problem. Or is that thing to make sure you don't put regular in the tank. Can you even get reguar anymore? (meaning not unleaded)

That stupid flap makes it hard to put additives or octane booster into the tank as it is a pain on my 90 cabrolet. Yes I know the vanagon does not benefit from octane boost additive. (unless you buy the cheapes of gas I guess)

Rob

Sorry for misspellings, sticker fumes on the brain. ---------- >From: Vernon Craddock <Vernon@CRADDOCK.COM> >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Trap door under the gas cap no longer closes. >Date: Tue, Mar 16, 1999, 10:15 PM >