Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:16:59 -0800
From:         s2 <satew@MNINTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Leaking Gas Tank and Oil Leaks
Comments: To: Justin Gordon <justin@BAYAREA.NET>

-----Original Message----- From: Justin Gordon <justin@BAYAREA.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Tuesday, March 16, 1999 2:40 PM Subject: Leaking Gas Tank and Oil Leaks

>Are there any easy fixes for a leaking gas tank? The tank seems to leak near >the place where gas goes in. It only leaks when the tank is full. If I fill >that the tank all the way, I end up loosing a quarter tank of gas. >

Could be the vent fixtures on that side (top of tank), or the rubber grommet to the filler pipe, or the filler pipe vent tube. They should be reachable with the tank in the vehicle. The rubber grommets may be bad or a fitting has popped out of place. Also check the hose clamp that keeps the filler pipe on the filler neck. Seal them with a good sealant. I don't know what kind to recommend ... anybody?

For an air-cooled or diesel with heater booster: If the leak is on the top of the tank the gas can saturate the air tube for the heating system that runs down the center of the van. Then the tank will have to be removed to replace the tube so you don't get the gasoline fumes in the cockpit. Respectfully, Steve