Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:53:27 -0500
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trap door under the gas cap no longer closes.
Comments: To: Vernon Craddock <Vernon@CRADDOCK.COM>

Vernon--

From my understanding, what the inspectors are looking for while inspecting the fuel cap and filler neck is evidence of tampering such that you could use (now, non-existing in most places) leaded fuel, and to make sure the cap is the proper NON-vented type, in functioning condition. They want to make sure raw fuel isn't spilling out when you make a hard left turn.

The little door you speak of is to primarily to prevent "outsplash". A recently filled tank may belch and spew fuel into the filler neck as bubbles make their way up through various vent hoses. This door prevents those belches and spews from spraying fuel into the environment. While the absence of the little door's proper operation could allow raw fuel to spill, I don't think they check this.

If you are really nervous about it, call a Smog Cert. center and ask them whether they check it. If it IS checked, you can forget about your old spring, and have a new one installed. You don't have to drop the tank or anything major, just remove the filler neck, etc.

Thanks for worrying about it. I like clean air.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Cary, NC USA www.bulley-hewlett.com (888) 468-4880 toll free

-----Original Message----- From: Vernon Craddock [SMTP:Vernon@CRADDOCK.COM] Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 1999 5:16 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Trap door under the gas cap no longer closes.

Hi fellow Vanagon owners,

The small trap door which closes when you remove the gas pump nozzle no longer closes on my van. I guess that the spring fell off or busted and is in the tank now. Anyway, It has been like this for a while, but it is now time for me to get a smog test. I have noticed that they remove and visually inspect the fuel cap. Will this missing/broken spring be a problem for my CA smog test? It looks to me like I will have to drop the tank to fix this.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Vernon Craddock '90 Standard Vanagon pending California smog check II