Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:12:09 -0500
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: My Turn for the Heads...
Comments: To: Stu Schwartz <sschwartz@OS2BBS.COM>

If you do it yourself not much more than the cost of the gasket sets. On my 83.5 that is about $80 per side. I have replaced the gaskets on mine and the job, while fairly big, is not all that complex. Go to the Vanagon site and pick up the head gasket article from "Boston Engine" That, the Bentley, the gaskets and a new pack of JB Weld should be all you need. I mentioned this before and someone wanted me to post a "step by step" of what I did to fix mine for around $100 per side. There is really not that much to tell that is not covered in the Boston article and the Bentley. For the rest the engine itself will tell you what needs doing as you go along. Parts that need to come off OBVIOUSLY need to come off. If, like me, you keep careful track of what came off where (I used a couple of miles of masking tape lableing things) putting things back togeather is no problem. The only REAL potential buggabo in the job is pulling the cylinders past the rings while taking off the heads. If that happens then, according to the manuals, you MUST pull the engine. Altho some folks here HAVE pulled the cylinders past the rings and after a liberal ammount of cussing discovered a method of putting the cylinders back on WITHOUT pulling the engine. If your cylinders are sticking to your heads be prepared for a HUGE pain-in-the-butt as you pry and soak and beat and cuss until the ^(*&^&*^ things finally come off. If you snap a bolt or two off flush while trying to remove them take the head to a machine shop and they will easily remove them for about $10 each (I broke two). Other than these two things it is just not THAT big a deal. When I bought my Westy I was blissfully ignorant of the Head Gasket problem. When I found out about it from this list I lived in fear of when it would strike. A few months ago I was horrified to see a steady drip of antifreeze from the rear of my Westy. Contacting the dealer I found he wanted my first born son to fix it. My son is 36 years old and while his wife readyly agreed to the trade he himself objected. Since I had made the mistake of allowing him to take karate lessons when he was a boy his objection prevailed and the dealer option was denied me. I was faced with the choice of either doing it myself or walking. When I first started the job I was fearful that I would cause the death of my beloved Westy. When my cylinders stuck to my heads I WANTED to cause the death of my beloved Westy. After I freed the #*$*$& things all passion dissapated except for a slight nervousness as I surveyed my garage floor wondering if I could get all these things back togeather again but my labeling everything allowed reassembly to proceed without a hitch. Then came the mooment of truth as I sat in the driver seat, key in the ignition. I smoked a cigarette while I worked up the nerve to give the key a turn I also used this time to recall every cuss word I had learned in 21 years in the military just in case I needed them. Steeling myself for the worst I turned the key. VVVVVAAAAARRRROOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!! SUCCESS!!!!! The roar was increadable as I had forgotten to put the new O2 sensor in the exhaust outlet but my baby LIVED! That night I thought about what I had done and could not for the life of me figure out just what I had been so afraid of. Sure the job was a big pain but it was infinately doable. Rather like digging a large hole. Difficult but not complex. Now it is possible that, while I am not a mechanic, I AM blessed with some natural talent regarding things mechanical. Possible, but I doubt it. If this shmuck can do it ANY schmuck can do it. And for about $100 per side. There are three steps I could like to pass on that will greatly ease the job.

1. Decide to do it. 2. Prepare to do it. 3. Do it.

The rest will follow. And remember to put your O2 sensor back on before you crank it up. That damn thing is LOUD!!!!!