Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:23:57 -0700
From:         Carl Hammerdorfer <carlh@LAMAR.COLOSTATE.EDU>
Subject:      86 Vanagon intermittently shuts off at speed

HI,

First posting so I hope I'm doing this correctly.

Our vanagon, with a super engine that will pull us up to Summit County at a high rate of speed, has developed what I think is an electrical failure. Three months ago on hwy 25 it cut out completely at 65 mph. I pumped the gas but it just died. Got on the shoulder and coasted and a few seconds later it ran again. Went the other 90 miles to Colorado Springs without incident.

On the way home it did it again, once. Then the problem disappeared for a few weeks. But now it's back with a vengance. It does it frequently and at all speeds, so much so that my wife refuses to haul the kids in it. I learned that when it cuts out I can switch the ignition off and then back on (with clutch in and then pop it when I switch it back on) and that eliminates the problem for anywhere from 30 seconds to a week. Lately more often 30 seconds.

I've replaced the coil, but that didnt' do anything. Someone told me there might be a static electricity problem in the "air box" (we live at 5000 feet and frequently drive above 10000), so I bought a $160 "air intake harness" from the dealer. Total rip off, since it looks like it costs 25 cents to make. Fixed it for a few days but the problem is still with us now.

Don't know what else to describe. Anyone heard of this problem?

Cheers,

Carl