Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:03:47 -0700
From:         BILL <billv2@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Location of tranny number--Follow Up

Well, it turns out that this is not the number I was looking for. The number was located nearby on the bottom DK 01 03 2. The other number 091 xxx xxx is the case number. The DK xx xx x gives the code and date. For those of you with a Bentley, it's all on page 3. I was looking in the wrong section. I thought it would be in the tranny section. It's not.

This all started with the shifting being stiff. It went into the gears but was very stiff. I looked at the shift linkage near and at the tranny and found the rubber boots were half missing and distroyed with age. The gearshift shaft rubber boot is all tore up. This allowed dirt and moisture in. In my quest to replace this boot, my local dealer said VW made two different sizes. Not sure what the difference is. must be shaft diameter size? Anyway, I thought this might help someone and you might keep this in mind for any PM schedule as your van ages or your shifting becomes stiffer. BTW the boot is about $6.xx something from the dealer.

Bill

-----Original Message----- From: BILL <billv2@PRODIGY.NET>