Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:02:50 PST
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Pulsing Engine

Volks -

I'm driving the '87 Westy back from Atlanta to Idaho. The first day went well, although I was a bit concerned when the gas mileage went down to 14+ from 17+ by the third time I filled up. The mechanic in Atlanta had done a minor tune, but had not tried to adjust the richness, so I figured I would get it handled when I got back. Unfortunately, today as we headed across Kansas, we started getting an intermittant engine pulsing. At first, I thought it was the wind but after a couple of times, I was sure it was either the fuel or spark cutting out. We had a mechanic in Colby check the fuel filter and look at the engine. He could blow through the filter, so figuring it might be injectors, he put some cleaner in. We ran fine for 100 miles, and had an episode. We pulled over, and the battery, oxs and other indicator lights on the dash turned red. I remembered reading about pulsing that was solved by turning off and on, and a couple of possible fixes, so we started again and ran ok for another 50 miles. Something had improved, because we now were back to 17+ mpg. Pressing on to Colorado Springs, we had another couple of episodes. They seem to happen when we have been running for a long time at a steady speed. I tried to get into the archives but couldn't connect. If anyone has a suggestion, please p-mail me. I will check this in the morning before trying to find a mechanic.

Other than this, I'm liking the van, but now I need to get some sleep. We were on the road for about 13 hours today, so please forgive any screwups in this note.

Thanks!