Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:39:45 -0800
From:         Nathaniel Merrill <nmerrill@PARAMETRIX.COM>
Subject:      Take II-'91 Bucking and Digitool Readings-solution?

Hello all, This is a recap of the problem I reported last week- I think. After warm up, While driving or just sitting, The van wold completely cut out for a second, or a few seconds, which was somehow related to throttle pedal position. If I did not move the pedal when the engine cut out, it would come back - but violently- and likely would start bucking- power on power off etc etc.. If I moved the throttle up power would return again- until the next sputter. It Idled with no problem. I suspected an AFM wiper malfunction but it looked so good I was doubtful. I reported that my Digitool indicated that the fuel injectors were shutting off with each power loss. I also said the AFM output looked ok. Any takers? What I discovered yesterday.... The Throttle position switch indicator LED (digitool) starts to glow slightly even after it goes off when the throttle is applied. It starts to glow almost as bright as if at idle (throttle off) and then the injectors shut off! Looking in the Bentley, I see that this is exactly what the throttle position switch does to the injectors for deceleration fuel shut off- exactly analogous to my problem. Seems like the switch is malfunctioning and shorting or something. Do I need to take the intake system apart to get to this switch? Any non-believers? Nat Seattle 91 silver syncro westy