Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:28:02 -0500
From:         Robert Rountree <rountree@PLANETEER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Grease Needle....an important find!  Sold ONLY in canada
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>

----Original Message----- From: Stuart MacMillan >If squirting grease in makes you feel better, go ahead,

It doesn't just make ME feel better.... it has MADE my van quieter...and shift smoother.... You see the main problem with MY van is that it ONLY has less than 50k miles on it.... it's stored in a garage most of the time.... all the joints on this baby are/were DRIED out, NOT run out.... this is not a miracle fix... it's NOT putting metal back on those balls and races.

>I think any >hole in the boot is just asking for trouble--moisture alone is enough to >do these things in, and there can be a lot of splash on these boots.

this needle is so sharp and has such a low angle.... I CAN NOT FIND THE HOLE after I remove the needle... sort of like giving blood... your heart keeps pumping but after removing the needle you don't leak (much)... but the hole is more of a micro flap.... my rear CV's are stock (along with most everything on it) and they do NOT have clamp band on the small (rears only) ends... there is actually more of a gap around the area between the shafts and the rubber boots to let rain/spray in... that's also the reason for CV grease, it doesn't wash out.... in fact it seems to me if anything... it will be migrating out because of the + PLUS amount of grease... hopefully pushing out older grease... but so far, I have NO leaks of ANY kind, from the gap between the shaft and the boot or wherever the needle holes are now......This is no miracle cure volks, it's just a way to lube almost ANY boot, with a minimum of mess and effort.... by all means do not let me deprive anyone of the messy work of meticulously cleaning all 8 of their CV's.... which I personally would never do.... isn't that what grease monkeys are for? (no offense meant to my mechanic friends & relatives) Rob 87 Westy SyncroGL.....Cynosure 79k km Moonstone Ont. rountree@planeteer.com