Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:14:07 -0500
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Grease Needle....an important find!  Sold ONLY in canada
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>

I'm with Stuart. Except for two things.

I'd have the half axle/cv joints switched side to side if they lasted 100k. Reverse the wear surfaces. Cost about $60 to have this done on a type 2, imagine it is about the same on a regular Van-agony. Done this on my past two vans.

Second, I'd pay someone else to monkey with the wrenches, and spend the time with Suzanne, who is worth far more than the $60/hour I have to pay for the luxury of her company.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Cary, NC USA www.bulley-hewlett.com (888) 468-4880 toll free

-----Original Message----- From: Stuart MacMillan [SMTP:stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM] Sent: Thursday, March 18, 1999 4:31 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Grease Needle....an important find! Sold ONLY in canada

I am basically cheap and lazy, so I try to minimize work and expense, especially on my Vanagon.

After a total of 350,000 miles on a combination of two VW Type 2s and a Vanagon, I have come to the conclusion that any maintenance on CV joints is a waste of time and money as well as the soap you need to clean yourself up after working on them.

Invariably, whenever I removed the axles to re-pack the joints there was enough wear to justify replacing them, even though they probably would have gone another 50,000 miles, since it is such a dirty, miserable job I don't want to do often. I doesn't take much to wear through the surface hardening on the race, so those little polished grooves you usually find there are the beginning of the end, which will come soon if the polish is cracking or flaking off. So now I just run 'em until one gets noisy, and then replace them all, which has typically been after well over 100,000 miles of service. I currently have 120,000 miles on my last set.

If squirting grease in makes you feel better, go ahead, but I think any hole in the boot is just asking for trouble--moisture alone is enough to do these things in, and there can be a lot of splash on these boots.

-- Stuart MacMillan '84 Westy '65 MGB '74 MGB GT