Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:26:18 EST
From:         Detlev Hanschke <DeHanschke@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Torquer redux/5Cyl. 20 V Vanamaniac
Comments: To: sullivan@openmarket.com

We have to talk !!!!

We will not need to get this engine check by some one else, when I do the conversion, because I have to change some things and by the way I will check the engine ----I don't like trouble when the engine is installt.

How much bigger (if at all) is the 20-valve turbo vs. the 10-valve non-turbo? slightly - the head and all related equipment are bigger ,but I know that the engine will fit.

You shouldt think about what you will do with all this power . The 2.2 l engine what I put in our own 2WD Vanagon have with the canshaft around 130 hp and have more then enough power for an Vanagon. You can always put more power in , but you have to think about the units that have to work with this power. I don't say that this Powerfull 220 hp engine will harm the transmission or the Vanagon at all . But a wrong released clutch or a over rived second gear can bring trouble with this much power. So you shouldt think about the power needet and the money you like to spend. all in all this project is a nice challenge and if you realy like to have a HOT ROD Vanagon lets do it.

1.) custom stainless steel exhaust No problem I've to built an custom exhaust any way why not from stainless steel.

2.) placement/location of the intercooler No problem it will most likely get the same position than the 10V Turbo intercooler

3.) different cooling hoses than the 10v non-turbo installation I like to wait and make some road tests before we start to do this. The standart system what is installt in the Vanagon have no problem with the upgradet 5 Cyl. engine,the water flow is high enough.

4.) slightly different electrical than the 10v Yes we need the donor car and I need the exact year from the engine to check the harness in advance.

5.) possible fitment problems with the engine cover With our set up we /you will not sacrify that much in the high but we have to figure what is going on.

Kind regard Detlev Vanagon Projekt 925 606 8797