Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:27:29 -0700
From:         "Richard A. Jones" <jones@ANOMIE.COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: stabilizer links
Comments: To: kfagan@temnet.nf.ca
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Keith:

I thought there might be something in the archives about stabilizer links but didn't find anything with a quick check. You might search further.

Anyway, a year or two ago there was a lot of stuff on the web about stabilizer links breaking. They do. Someone stated it was the stress at the right-angle corner where the machining stops. I know mine (all 4 four of them over several years) broke there. My current mechanic and I talked to a local engineering firm-- one man, into racing--who suggested welding a hard bolt onto the end--the head cut off the bolt, of course. I had him make two for me--one for each side--since I had two broken remains. We only installed one--driver's side, which broke 3 to 1 on the passenger side. That's been 2+ years and the other hasn't broken yet, but when it does, I'm ready!

I have intended to take a photo of the welded link and put it on my web page, but haven't remembered to do so....

I paid $25 (per link) for this guy to weld the bolt shaft on-- including the bolt. ;-) BTW--mine's an '81 and I have to admit to some jeep-roading in the mtns when it was younger....

Richard A. Jones University of Colorado at Boulder