Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:23:42 -0400
From:         Wil Haslup <dhaslup@EROLS.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV joint repair?

Well, I didn't expect so much in the way of colorful responses but thanks to all for insights and opinions.

Some of the backstory is that I pieced this '80 back together after a guy practically gave it to me for $450. It need a windshield, ball joints, exhaust gaskets, and the kicker was it need the resistor on the end of the wire harness because on wire was broken and it didn't have ANY power so the guy just decided to hang it up instead of finding the trouble.

Even though I found a bargain I have about $1500 in it after it passed inspection the ignition switch quit. I paid the mechanic to do all of the above work. At this point I'm cash poor and my '69 Chevelle is the current patient...brakes, front bearings, replace a drum and two cylinders to rebuild this weekend. The parts for all that aren't as much as I'm hearing for this joint but maybe I haven't found the right place yet.

I'm in dire straights folks so if I could do this for the cost of sweat, cussing and some grease I wanted to try it. If I need to do it again later maybe things will be more cash fluid.

From what I've heard it is a right-left swap and not inner for outer on each. I'll think on all this and probably make an attempt next weekend.

Thanks.

Sincerely --

Wil

<tsb> -- dhaslup@erols.com - http://www.erols.com/dhaslup - <tsb>

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter. -- Blaise Pascal

<tsb>