Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Mar 1999 11:34:46 -0800
From:         harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Brake caliper question

Bill, Had something like that happen to me. Did a complete front brake job on my old D 50 truck. I did everything by the book. The works. The discs were well within their specs, and I had them resurfaced at a professional brake shop. Problem: The brakes were pulsating worse after the discs were turned than before I redid them. Took me a while to figure out the cause. Turned out the guy working in the brake shop didn't mount the discs right when he resurfaced them. Only found out after I paid another shop to resurface the discs again. Luckily there was lots of metal left on them. Anyway, after that the brakes were smooth as silk. I tell you it was a real bummer. Of course, in your case, it could be something else. Just a thought. Harald 90 westy. member of wetwesties.

Bill wrote: > After having my new tires installed the mechanc said there was noise in > the front wheel bearings and or brakes. I knew there was a noise but > was hoping it was the rear brakes and not the front. When I bought the > van and redid the brakes I paid to have the rears done but I did the > fronts myself. > > I thought I did the job right. I replaced the rotors with used ones that > I had turned, also installed new wheel bearings, races, seals, washer, > axle nut, and of course pads. The spindles weren't beautiful but they > seemed passable- a little worn. They probaby should be replaced but I > can't afford that now. I used high temp disc brake grease when I packed > the bearings. I did not have to bleed the system as I never opened it. > > I suspect the calipers since there is a pulsing/grabbing sensation when > you hit the brakes. How do you test calipers or proper function in both > directions. I can't afford to replace both calipers and hope thats the > fix. > > Any ideas about the calipers or something I might have missed are > welcomed. > > TIA, Bill > '91 Carat