Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:15:48 -0500
From:         Bruno Walser <76042.2543@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon jerking in stop and go traffic

Thanks very much for all the suggestions I have received so far. Did not have a lot of time this weekend to check things out, but I determined that the motor mounts are still good. Also checked the throttle position switch and sure enough the switch does not make contact when the throttle is in idle. Tried to adjust the switch but the exenter screw is stuck and the allen wrench tuns inside the head. So I will have to take the whole trottle assembly off the engine to get to the switch. Did not have time for that. But I did try to lower the idle speed by adjusting the set screw to approx. 800 RPM. Now the throttle switch closed in idle. However, now the idle has become unstable (pulsating). Never-the-less I took the car for a drive to see if the jerking is any different with the switch now closing in idle. Unfortunaltey, there seems to be no noticeable difference. Maybe because of the unstable idle or is the idle speed controller bad? As soon as I have the time I will try to get that throttle switch adjusted, or even replaced.

Unfortunatley I can not really get used to this bucking as someone suggested.

Also, seems like I am having a problem with the temperature sensor. Even though it is still a little bit colder here in NH than for most of you guys in the West, the car is running at unusually high RPM (2000) when I get started inthe morning. Don't remember that this used to be this way last winter. Also the RPM stays high for quite a long time before finally dropping down to normal idle. I have tried to find the temperature sensor II to measure its value. My Haynes manual says that it should be located on top of Cylinder 3 (2.1 l engine). Nothing there. My German Repair Manual does not even mention where the sensor is located. Any suggestions?

Bruno