Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:54:12 -0500
From:         ColForbin <colforbin@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      *LONG*coolant light blinking, temp soaring and dropping,
              sporadically
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I have been lurking here for about 6 months but this is my first post so I'll introduce myself. Israel Carr, Greenville, SC, '85 Westy. Now then. When cruising at highway or neighborhood speed my van's temperature appears fine, temp. needle completely below coolant sensor light on gauge. When in stop and go traffic the van starts running warm. Most of the time at a stop light or in bad traffic I have turn the heat on because the van gets so warm. The heat almost melts my feet. hehe sparodically This has been going on for a while to no avail. Last week I was cruising up the interstate in the snow and all of a sudden my heat went cold and the OXS and BATT lights came on, and the coolant sensor light fluttered very dimly(strange) and I thought the alternator belt broke and worked my way to the side of the road. Then smoke, later discovered to be steam, poured out of the back of the van. My alternator pulley broke. The shaft and all was still there and the coolant sensor had been forced(unsrewed). I replaced alternator and all belts and screwed the coolant lever sensor back in. Now, the OXS and BATT lights are off and alternator is charging fine. My coolant sensor light keeps coming and when it does the temperature gauge rapidly goes to the top(HOT) and then goes back down. The temperature gauge stays pegged at the very bottom all of the time unless the light comes on. The gauge goes up when light is on and drops as soon as the light goes off. The light appears to come on when van is going(tilted) downhill and goes off when going uphill. I replaced the sensor today in hopes to remedy the problem. no luck. Of course, the expansion tank does have plenty of coolant.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I also am having a problem signing up for this list. I was removed by I left town and forgot to cancel list subscription. I have signed up but I'm not receiving the list.??? I'm hoping to remedy this soon. If you could please reply by e-mail and to the group for everyone.

Thank you. ColForbin@mindspring.com