Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Mar 1999 00:32:15 EST
From:         Detlev Hanschke <DeHanschke@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: The gods must be "crasy"
Comments: To: sullivan@openmarket.com

<< Dear Ken and Detlev,

I just got a call from my wrecking yard -- they say the TDI donor car was so badly damaged on the left side that the wiring harness and fusebox are not salvagable. I have asked them to hunt around to see if they can locate a wiring harness -- they will call me later today. Needless to say, if there is no wiring harness, I'm not going to purchase the engine from them.

AGAIN THE 20 V IS A BEAUTIFULL HIGH POWER ENGINE BUT BECAUSE OF THE POWER DEVELOPMENT NOT REALY USE FULL FOR A HEAVY VANAGON. YOU WILL HAVE A FLAT POWER CURVE FROM 1200 TO 3200 RPM AND ABOVE 3000 RPM MORE THEN ENOUGH.ACTUALLY TO MUCH THE SUDDEN INCREASE OF POWER CAN HARM THE TRANSMISSION.

THE 2.6 L LONG STROCK WILL HAVE SOMETHING AROUND 150 HP STARTING AT 1500 RPM UNTILL 5000 RPM IN A EVERLY INCREASING POWER CURVE.THIS WILL PUT A SMOOTH STRENGTH ON THE TRANSMISSION WHAT WILL LESS HARM THE TRANSMISSION. IN MY OPINION THE 2.6 L IS THE MOST POWER WHAT YOU CAN PUT IN THE VANAGON WITH OUT HAVING CUSTOMISED EVERY OTHER DRIVETRAIN RELATED UNIT.A REAL GOOD BRAKE SYSTEM IS REQUIERED WITH EVERY UPGRADING OF THE ENGINE.

Assuming the worse case, I am prepared to purchase the "stroker" Audi engine from you guys. It sounds too good to be true! (hopefully it won't be) As I understand it, I need to place 50% down ($3750) and supply a donor vehicle.

We like to help you with this.

Five questions:

1.) If I mail you a check tomorrow, how long will the engine take to arrive,

and be modified to "get ready" for installation?

If every thing goes well aprox.4 weeks.

2.) Do you have sources for donor cars? If so, approx. how much?

Ken and I will look for an engine when we know what we need.

3.) Who do I mail the check to?

Vanagon Projekt 5665 Crestmont Ave. Livermore,CA,94550 I will order the engine as soon as posible.

4.) Can Ken do this installation on the east coast?

I gues so.

5.) Does the "first-on-the-east-coast" discount still apply?

This price US $ 7500 is the east / west and all in all best price ever ! And no one know how long I can get this engine and how long I can keep this price.

This sure has been a wild ride: TDI --> Audi 5 --> Audi 20v -- TDI --> Audi "stroker"!! I guess the good Lord doesn't want that TDI in my van! A real wise decision !

Sincerely Detlev Vanagon Projekt

925 606 8797