Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Mar 1999 23:25:31 -0800
From:         "Tom L. Neal" <jneal@NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: 86 Vanagon Water Pump Replacement?
Comments: To: zyno <zyno@DC.INFI.NET>

Hi, Tony.

I'm no mechanic (proven below), but I've replaced the water pump twice in about three hours each time, working slowly and almost carefully enough. The pump part is pretty straightforward. -Helps to have the new pump in hand to figure out where the blind bolts are. -Loosening the A/C compressor is interesting. -Easiest to just get all the belts completely out of the way. -Suggest replacing the little L shaped hose at the same time since it's simple to do then and it caused my van's inaugural non-head-related coolant spill, quite a milestone.

More experience from the dark side: Breaking the plastic hall effect holder on the distributor while prying the pump off with a long screwdriver elicits demonic retribution. The hall effect device falls out of the distributor and an extremely rich mixture loads up the combusted gas channel with carbon, causing the engine to slowly wind down to a halt and requiring replacement of cat, muffler, distributor, and other expensive parts. Treat that hell effect device and its location with great respect and reverence.

The www.busdepot.com closeout $49.95 pump is a great price.

And despite it all, its easy to get emotionally attached to these big teddy bear vans.

Good luck.

Tom (obviously not my real name or I wouldn't admit to these fiascos) Neal '87 syncro with many much newer parts