Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:39:24 -0800
From:         "Tom L. Neal" <jneal@NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Service Bulletin for AFMs and harness

At the risk of repeating a lot of what many people probably already know..

Apparently there are several causes for the hesitation problem symptom. Relative to the wiring harness... In my jerky journeys around the high altitude, dry, cold west describing the hesitation problem, the Ft. Collins VW dealer people claimed they diagnosed ESD as the problem that THEY saw, and invented the wiring harness fix. They said an Electro Static Charge buildup occurs somewhere in the air intake system (probably on the plastic) and eventually the lightening bolt discharge gets to the computer. So this wiring harness is just a way to bleed off ESD charge somehow. The simple capacitor should try to absorb the excited electrons in the same way. Should be very simple (but I haven't investigated this) to splice in a couple of parts and wires and effectively do the fix for almost no money, given the schematic, and I think it's in the SN. Of course I figured this out after paying for the fix, after which the van still hesitates sometimes.

BTW, if ESD is truly the cause of hesitation in a van, other ESD suppressant techniques should work as well. Since my van only hesitates on alternate Leap Days and in snowstorms on precipitous roads, it would be great if someone who lives in a relatively dry and/or cold climate and has more predictable symptoms would like to try spraying (with the engine off) a very soapy solution of any liquid soap and water on electrical areas and air flow surfaces. A light film of dried soap shouldn't cause any problems, could be easily washed off if it does, and should be hydroscopic enough to prevent the buildup of ESD. It's probably not a long term fix, but it would prove the cause effectively and point to solutions. I'd be extremely interested in the results.

The soap experiment is easier to implement than another alternative of hooking up an ESD suppresant radioactive alpha ion emitter in the air intake, although that would certainly be fun to try.......hmm........a.... nuclear powered Vanagon......Was denken Sie, Detlev?

Cheers, Tom Neal '8(jerk)7 sy(jerk,jerk)ncro