Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Mar 1999 06:36:21 -0800
From:         "frank n. furter" <wasserbox@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Trip Report - Panama City Beach, Fl.

Well, I am back from my little spring break excursion to Florida, and all I can say is WOW.

If you have never been to the panhandle of Florida, GO! Forget Orlando, Miami, Cocoa Beach, the keys... The panhandle has THE best beaches I have ever seen. White sand dunes, beautiful blue-green water, and best of all there was hardly anyone there.

I camped in a Nat'l forest (14$/night) and had free access to a 4 mile strip of clean white-sand beaches. There were probably a maximum of 100 people on the beaches on the busiest day of spring break.

The 1400 mi. trip went without a hitch. No oil needed, no coolant added, only 2psi low in the tires at the end with an average speed of 75-80mph the whole way. Average fuel consumption ~20mpg with a full load of camping equipment. The only thing I could've wished for were the new shocks I have ordered.

Van Sightings

Westfalias - 1 H2O cooled 1 Aircooled 4 type-II's

Vans 2 H2O cooled 2 type II's

Not including the 10 Type II's I saw at a body shop outside Ft. Walton Beach.

The only down-side was finding out that my fridge no longer works on Aux. power. Oh well, $0.75/day of ice in the cooler was cheaper than the 2$/day elec. hookup fee.

Oh, and the campground was St. Andrews State rec. area. They have 170ish wooded campsites, all are nice, mine was all of 5 feet from the water. "Voted best beaches in America, 1995"

-->Wishing I was still there.... === Mark

87 Westfalia Gl 84 Scirocco 8v

http://members.tripod.com/~jehanno