Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:44:56 -0800
From:         Michael Orbon <bluvanoluv@MAILCITY.COM>
Subject:      85 1.9 w/AC Overheat at Idle

I have a 1985 vanagon with a 1.9, Automatic Trans., and AC. I recently got into the overheat problems at about 160000 miles. Since then I have replaced the water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses, engine gaskets, and radiator fan switch. I have learned the refill procedure as well.

Here is my question. My van has alway overheated only at idle, and I want to know why. Recently it overheated in traffic and I pulled over and let it cool down. I checked the radiator fan and it did not run. I checked the coolant level and then proceded to my destination.

The next morning I pulled the grill and looked at the radiator fan switch. It was new as my mechanic indicated. I pulled the connector loose and jumped it out and both speeds worked that way. I plugged it back in and ran at idle to overheat and it never came on. The radiator was not hot to touch.

I refilled after letting the van cool down. I had to idle to about 3000 RPM (vs. 2000 recommended in the Bentley Manual) to get coolant at the radiator bleed screw. Then I ran pretty hot, but no radiator fan. I could feel a warm radiator, but how warm?

I am wondering about what else to look for. Should I look for flow problems, refill the radiator, test the new radiator fan switch?

Thanx Mike O