Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:12:14 -0800
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon side window rain vent idea that works

A couple of weekends ago while camped out in my westy in the rain I started thinking about how hot the van was going to be in the summer during the rain since you can't open any of the windows for ventilation without water getting inside. During a trip to Lowe's this past weekend I saw something that gave me an idea on a way to provide ventilation and keep the rain out. What I did was buy a pair of Builder's Edge brand 12" x 18" white plastic gable vents and an assortment of small, medium, and large suction cups with the hooks already on them for doing things like hanging pictures. These particular gable vents have several small 1/4 slots all around the edges that the hooks from the suction cups fit into nicely. The size is just right (they are slightly larger than 12 x 18) for hanging just below the rain gutter on the side sliding windows (on sliding door and above sink) and they come down to just below the bottom of the window. You can place several suction cup hooks in the slots and just place it on the outside right over the window. You can place the suction cups on the window or the body of the van. I found that three small cups on will hold it well and still allow me to open the sliding window from the inside while the vent is attached on the outside. If it is especially windy or you want a stronger hold the medium and large cups help out here. You can even open and close the sliding door with the gable on the outside with no problem. You will need the small cups for the top of the vent for the sliding door in order to do this and be able to open and close the window with the gable on. These particular vents also have an insect screen on the inside. I got to try these out yesterday in the big southeast rainstorm that came through Virginia all day. They did a great job of keeping the rain out and letting the air in. The little bit of water that did make it through the vent at times collected on and ran down the vent's screen and it did not come inside the van. These vents actually look pretty nice on the van when they are installed and they go on and off in less than a minute (only use these when parked, not driving). When not in use they fit under the rear bench seat. I was very please with how well these vents worked out. Nothing sticks out that you have to worry about bumping into in the night.

If you want to try this, try to find the Builder's Edge brand of gable vents (12" X 18") because they already have the suction cup hook slots in them plus they have a screen to capture any drops that happen to get through (discard the snap-on ring, its not needed for anything). I found mine at Lowe's. They may or may not have this brand at HQ, Home Depot, etc. Buy several different sizes of suction cups also (the ones with the hooks). I found the larger sizes helpful when putting these on a van that was already wet from the rain. I paid one dollar a pack (4 small, 3 medium, or 2 large in a pack). I got 2 packs of small, 2 medium, and 1 large. You don't need this many but they are cheap and this provides a good assortment to allow you many different options with how you place the cups on. The vents were about $20 bucks each. It cost about $45 total for the cups and vents for both sliding windows. Somewhat pricy, but I know I'll be happy I spent the money the first time it rains in the summer and I can actually keep the windows open for ventilation.

Steve

89 Westy