Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:41:46 -0500
From:         Ed Stevens <ejstevens@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Eurovan Westfalia

On 3/24/99 1:41 PM ,Mark Gajewski typed > >I thought someone on the list mentioned that the EVC is done by Winnebago, >but the MV weekender (if such a beast exists) is still being done by Westfalia. >From what I recall of the post, it mentioned that the pop-tops between the >EVC and the MV Weekender are different (Winny's poptop vs. Westy's > poptup). Does this sound right?Mark > i have test driven all the 1999 Eurovan models. The MV Weekender is by far the hardest one to come by. When I saw it in October I was told that it was being sent to the southern US until spring. perhaps it will be coming north with the birds. I saw it in Lebanon PA (near Hershey PA).

The EVC is indeed done by Winnebago-US on an extended version of the Eurovan. It lacks the Eurovans rear air conditioning system and its large sliding windows. Instead it had dinky (IMHO) RV type windows in the back. The kitchen is really very nice. It is spacious, Finally it has enough power, but it is BIG. The luggage rack has a tie bar system that gives up some of the usable space up in the indentation. Really unimpressive.

The MV Weekender arrives "as is", I do not know who in Germany finishes it. It does have a somewhat different poptop than the EVC. It has the rear facing jumper seats, window screens and curtains, there is a small refrigerator under the jump seat behind the driver. I think the Weekender pop-top ran to the front of the vehicle, no luggage rack.

VW dealers are not pushing the EV Weekender as it lists for over 36k and you can easily pickup a camper for $33k. So they argue against it. I though it was a great vehicle, but overpriced.

BTW we ended up buying a 1999 Honda Odyssey to go along with our 84 Wolfsberg Westfalia GL Camper (and '95 Volvo 850 Turbo). At $23k it seemed to make more sense to us. We did not see enough in either the MV Weekender or the Camper to make us (my sons and me; the wife wanted to get down to just two cars very badly) want to reduce our fleet to just a Eurovan and the Volvo.

-peace Ed Stevens Valley Forge PA