Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Mar 1999 07:47:49 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dometic on 12 volts?
Comments: To: Robyn Rudisill <robyn.rudisill@HOME.COM>

Robyn, There is no exact answer to your question because there are several variables that depend on the circumstances. One of the variables is ambient temperature. First, a battery will deliver the most amp hours within a certain temperature range. Second, the hotter it is, the more the dometic fridge thermostat will keep the heating element activated thus using more power. Third, the colder you have the thermostat set the more often it will have to use power. Another variable is how often you open the fridge door. And I'm sure there are other variables that I haven't thought of this early in the morning. All that said, here are some ruff numbers: Although the Optima is rated at 65 amp hours at 20 degrees C, you can figure ruffly that you will only get about 50 amp hours out of a new, fully charged Optima before the voltage is drawn down to 10.5 amps. (I got this information from one of the Optima tech guys.) There are three problems when you take the battery below 10.5 amps.... (1) most appliances will not operate well, (2) the battery drops off quickly beyond this point, and (3) there is enough sulfidation beyond that point that bringing the Optima back to a full charge of 13.1 volts is time consuming. Okay, so figure on about 50 amp hour available from the Optima. The Dometic uses between 7 and 8 amps per hour that the thermostat keeps the heating element on. If we use 8 amps per hour, then you can figure that a fully charged Optima will run the Dometic for about 6 hours (50 divided by 8 = 6.25) if the thermostat kept the heating element on constantly. So depending on the average ambient temperature in a 24 hour period (and the other variables mentioned above) that could mean that your fridge would be kept cold for a day or so. Also, I'm not sure that the heating element will work as well as the voltage drops. So it is possible that the cooling effect as you drop towards 11 volts would be minimal. Regarding the camper cabin light, it is *not* wired through either of the two red wires that go from the auxiliary battery box under the drivers seat; it is wired in with the dome light/radio/cigarette lighter/map light circuit that comes off the main fuse panel. The choice would be to either change this whole circuit over to the auxiliary battery or to isolate the wire that goes to the rear cabin light. In my 90 Westy Syncro the wire to look for is one of the red wires that come out from the hollow metal channel between the windshield and the door opening. Pull out the fuse panel and look up and left. This wire feeds both the dome light and the rear cabin light. If you want to separate the two it involves fishing a new wire from where they join at the dome light, down through the hollow channel. If you have run a new (hopefully larger) wire from the starter battery to the auxiliary battery, you could do as I did and use the old starter to auxiliary battery wire (part that goes from the main fuse panel to the auxiliary battery box) as a feed for this newly fished wire (or the wire that feeds both the dome light and the rear cabin light). I found the end of the wire that goes from the auxiliary battery box to the main fuse panel to be a female spade connector attached to a male spade terminal at the rear left edge of the main fuse panel. To confirm that you have the correct wire, just test the two disconnected ends for continuity. As always, it is safest to have the grounds wires disconnected from both batteries before mucking around with the electrical system. Good Luck Bill 90 Westy Syncro -----Original Message----- From: Robyn Rudisill <robyn.rudisill@HOME.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, March 22, 1999 6:35 AM Subject: Dometic on 12 volts?